Forest City, NC asked in Family Law for North Carolina

Q: I’m 17 and my birthday is August 2 I live in NC I’m homosexual and I want to leave my parents now can I?

I’m dating a guy and my parents are very harsh and I’m not able to see him and ridiculed daily I want to leave home now is there legal actions that could be taken against me or him?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Angela L. Haas
Angela L. Haas
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this. I hope that they are not being harsh and ridiculing you because you want to be in a relationship with him. Given that your birthday is only 6 weeks away, you may want to wait, since filing for emancipation would most likely take longer than that to be heard by the courts. However, if you cannot wait, first call the National Runaway Safeline (NRS), which serves as the communication system for runaway and homeless youth. NRS provides free, confidential advice and referrals to local services for runaways and their parents and guardians in all 50 states. Call 1-800-RUNAWAY for immediate assistance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.