Hayward, CA asked in Immigration Law for California

Q: How will marrying an undocumented person affect my parents when filing for papers?

I was born here in the US and have undocumented parents that use a working permit(TPS) . I recently turned 20 and at 21 i'm planning to file papers for my parents. But I'm also in a relationship with another undocumented person that also has a different kind of working permit. I've been with this person for a couple of years a now and we want to get married. I want to know how that will affect his process and my parents process in the future, will it be more complicated for my parents if i got married now? I just wanted to know, I won't be doing any legal actions at the moment

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Osarumwense Iyamu
Osarumwense Iyamu
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Ocala, FL

A: As a US citizen, you are allowed to sponsor your spouse and your parents [when you turned 21]. You will be required to execute an affidavit of support to show you have the required annual income to support your household size including the person you are filing papers for. If your income is insufficient, you have the option of including a joint sponsor.

However, if your income is insufficient for your household size and you do not have a joint sponsor or co-sponsor, the Green card application will not be approved. Getting married will increase your household size but if you have sufficient income, then it's not a problem. If my office can be of further assistance, feel free to contact us to schedule a consultation. Please note that the above content does not constitute legal advice nor create an attorney-client relationship. Good luck with your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.