Coeur D'alene, ID asked in Employment Discrimination, Employment Law and Libel & Slander for Idaho

Q: I am asking for direction with a lawsuit that involves my ex employer.

Hi, my name is Lisa. I am looking for some direction on discrimination and harassment, defamation of character. My last employer is showing my employee file to other people and I also have a doctors letter in it. Is this a HIPPA violation. I have record of all the harassment when I was employed there. I am having the person that saw my file write a letter stating the facts. Where do I start with this lawsuit? Also it is a non-profit 501 c3. Please help me get some kind of direction I start!! Thank you for you help in this matter, looking forward to hearing back from you !!! I am a Recovery Coach and director of my office. The director of the non-profit I used to work for is telling her clients and my old clients that I slept with clients in Lew of services. And showing my personel file to others plus my doctors letter.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: Employment law, even in a “right to work” state like Idaho states that an employer can create a “hostile work environment” by many different ways, including this one. Idaho also has a statute that holds employers liable for violating your right to privacy by disclosing confidential records about you! HIPAA also has a right of action! This employer is going to regret this!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.