Yonkers, NY asked in Contracts for New Jersey

Q: My daughter’s wedding of 200 people to be held in NJ is supposed to take place on 9/5. The venue refuses to reschedule.

The room where the wedding is supposed to take place holds 275 people they feel the governor will allow 50% capacity by then which still won’t get us to 200 but they feel they can use the outter rooms to socially distance our guests. Of course that would also limit dancing as dancing would be in the room where dinner and the band we were originally supposed to be This is not what we agreed upon when we signed a contract. At this time the governor has made no mention of allowing indoor gatherings And so they are stringing us along so that they can get a second deposit which is due next month. What can we do. The contract states that they are not liable if government does not allow them to open but they will reschedule the wedding at the next available date. At this point they cannot guarantee us that they will be opened, and are only guessing that they will (using 50% building capacity, not original room capacity) also won’t allow us a new date. How long can they keep us hanging on

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: You need to start with your contract. The terms will govern. If you definitely want out, you may have to sue. You might call the NJ Governor's office to discuss your options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.