Poplarville, MS asked in Estate Planning, Real Estate Law and Probate for Mississippi

Q: How can I legally purchase property that I have maintained for over 10 years?

The property is heir property and the owner would sell it, but believes all heirs would need to be involved(3 total). The owner has been the only heir involved at all with this property and has paid the taxes on it for at least 11 years. This piece of property joins to mine and I’ve maintained it for over 10 years, have a legal driveway through it, have permission to use it as mine, but would like to legally own it. I’m at a loss on what can be done. Any advice? I originally thought I could claim adverse possession, but I also read that in Mississippi, you would have to ask pay taxes on this land for 2 years. Also, this piece of land is only around 1 acre and is not square where anyone could do anything with it unless they owned part of the neighboring properties.

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN

A: Hire a competent attorney to first conduct a title search. Then he needs to determine heirship and record it with an Affidavit of Heirship. Finally get a Deed executed by all Heirs At Law over to you. They may demand some monetary consideration.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.