Cincinnati, OH asked in Personal Injury for Ohio

Q: If someone purposely gave me an std can I sue them? Even if they don’t have medical documentation.

I’m from ohio.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Hunter G. Cavell
Hunter G. Cavell

A: If you can prove that the other party knew they had the STD and failed to disclose, then you could have an action for assault and/or battery. If they intended to give you an STI, then I would talk to a criminal attorney about possibly filing a police report, however, Ohio statutes only seem to apply to HIV/AIDS in this situation. See Ohio Rev. Code § § 2901.11(B), 2907.01.

In Ohio, a person commits the crime of assault by causing or attempting to cause injury to another. (Ohio Rev. Code § § 2903.11, 2903.12, 2903.13.) Prosecutors in Ohio may conclude that defendants who know they have an STD and intentionally engage in conduct that results in infection have inflicted (or attempted to inflict) injury and are guilty of assault.

Taylor P Waters agrees with this answer

Taylor P Waters
Taylor P Waters
  • Worthington, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: In addition to what Mr. Cavell said below, you might also have a claim for fraud and negligence. It depends on your individual situation, and a good civil attorney could help you with the civil claim if you did not want to only press charges.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.