Boiling Springs, SC asked in Employment Law for South Carolina

Q: I had a conversation with my company's lawyer about a sexual harassment claim I made. He told me, "maybe it was just a

misunderstanding" And I haven't even given my statement. How do I file a grievance?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rhiannon Herbert
Rhiannon Herbert

A: If you have already reported the incidents of sexual harassment to your company's HR Department, the next step would be filing a Charge of Discrimination with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission ("EEOC"). However, make sure you've already reported the incident(s) to HR and otherwise follow any policies and procedures in your company handbook before you do so. Even if this likely won't solve the problem, it will set you up for a stronger potential legal claim.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.