Milford, MA asked in Foreclosure for Massachusetts

Q: Hello! My parents had a reverse mortgage and I'm told an heir can buy the house. Can I negotiate the price?

can I negotiate a price due to the shape it is in? It needs a lot of work. I had it appraised, but it's still too much. Also, who holds the deed to the house. The heirs or the bank. I have seen enter into a deed instead of foreclosure, but I want to buy the house. Any help would be great. Thanks, Lois

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kimberly Winslow
Kimberly Winslow
  • Natick, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: Typically in a reverse mortgage scenario, the borrower does not Deed the property to the bank. It remains in their name. Deeds are public record, and quickly accessible online. Click on your county and search with name or address.

In most cases, when the borrower dies (in this case, your parents), the mortgage becomes due and payable. The Deed would then transfer to the heirs, who would then need to come up with the money to pay off the mortgage - whatever the amount due is at the date of the payoff. That could be done through a refinance. In some situations, you may be able to negotiate a lower payback amount to the reverse mortgage bank. Otherwise, the heirs would need to sell the house in order to pay off the reverse mortgage - or the house would be foreclosed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.