Riverside, CA asked in Criminal Law and White Collar Crime for California

Q: I am my fiance's only caregiver, can they take me to jail?

I got in trouble last year and been fighting it ever since, the only offer I have been given is 290 days the problem is, my fiance is mentally ill and needs me to care for her. I am all she has and I am very worried what will happen to her if I go to jail. She has no family or anything. Is there anyway I could stop from going to jail?

1 Lawyer Answer
Rhonda Mae Hixon
Rhonda Mae Hixon
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Redding, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Most county jails have alternative custody programs that offer work program or home electronic confinement as an alternative to incarceration, with exception for certain offenses. Check with your lawyer, or your county jail (website) for specifics about their program. You may not need an agreement from the DA, if the jail determines how and when you serve your sentence. Good Luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.