Albemarle, NC asked in Family Law for North Carolina

Q: I have a 15 year old nephew that doesn't want to live with his mom anymore. What can he do?

His mom keeps telling him all this bad stuff about his dad and calling the cops, making threats and he is tired of it. He is so unhappy when he has to go home, he acts out.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Angela L. Haas
Angela L. Haas
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: You are caught in a very difficult situation. Based on what you've shared, it doesn't sound like you would have standing to sue for custody, and I'm assuming that his father is not apt to sue for custody. If you think he might, encourage him to at least meet with an attorney, to see what his options are (if you think its best for your nephew to live with him). Have you tried speaking with his mother about the situation? Maybe she doesn't understand how much her words and actions are hurting him. After all, he is made up of her and his father, and when she talks bad about his father, she's putting him down as well! See if you create a change, by speaking with her first (without him, and then perhaps with him present). If that doesn't work, you could call social services, but I'm not so sure they would do anything (and they might!). Let her know that you are going to contact social services if she doesn't stop. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.