Vancouver, WA asked in Family Law for North Carolina

Q: I live in vancouver washington my daughter and ex live in nc she is 13 and called me and said she wants to live with mw

What can o do to make that happen

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Angela L. Haas
Angela L. Haas
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: First, I would find out WHY. Unless there is already a court order in WA or your daughter was born in WA, if the child has lived in NC for at least 6 months, NC would be the home state of the child, and you would need to petition the court here to modify the custody arrangement (unless your ex agrees that she can live with you). Consult with a family law attorney, to learn more about how to go about getting that done, based on the specific facts of your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.