Gaithersburg, MD asked in Banking for Maryland

Q: Can I press charges if I was given a fake check which took me a $30 stop payment fee check after cancelling the deposit?

Some men messaged me. He told me he'd give me an "allowance" and he said we needed to do a test in for him to know that he can trust me. He sent me a check and told me to deposit it and I did. Then I got scared and after doing some research I realized that he was doing a popular method of scamming people by giving them fake checks from an incorporation. Once it does go through he would ask me to send him a big part of the money back to "prove my trust" and then he'd just disappear when the bank does realize it was fake. So I wanted to know if there was anything I could press charges for in this scenario?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Business Law Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Yes. Call the police and provide the email address, telephone numbers, names, whatever it is you have. My guess is the scammer is too smart to use anything traceable back to him, but that's an issue for the police to figure out.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.