Watertown, MA asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts and Education Law for Arizona

Q: Do I have any legal recourse? My school publicized my personal and academic Information, SSN, photos, etc

My social security number, address, photos, transcripts, academic rank and deans letter we’re all accidentally made public through my school’s shared folders. I found out via a current student, and later received an apology from the Dean, as well as an assertion that the problem was fixed. However, I am now a physician out of state, and must take time away from my clinical duties to deal with this and worry about identity theft. The school has not told me how the breach happened or if they know who accessed my personal information. What legal recourse, if any, might I have in this situation?

1 Lawyer Answer
Raul Jauregui
Raul Jauregui
  • Education Law Lawyer
  • Philadelphia, PA

A: I am sorry to learn of your situation. It seems to me the basic federal law for you to seek remedy is FERPA which you can find here, https://www2.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa/students.html. There's also a mechanism for filing complaints here, https://studentprivacy.ed.gov/file-a-complaint.

I have represented students at all levels of higher ed for a while now and I wish I could help you because this does seem like a situation where there is, as part of your solution, a need for the school to pay for your expenses in, for example at the very least, re-configuring the data that now makes your identity public.

In addition, it seems you're not the only victim. You really should lawyer-up for approaching the school with that. They will likely not take you seriously otherwise.

Raul Jauregui

Jauregui Law Firm


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.