Philadelphia, PA asked in Real Estate Law, Business Law, Construction Law and Land Use & Zoning for Pennsylvania

Q: How do I find an electrician's insurance company if he will not provide it? Damage was done and need to know next steps.

Electrician performed an electrical service upgrade to 200 Amps without pulling a permit. Also, when approached about damages that he caused to my hardwood floors since he refused to take shoes off or work with booties, he denied liability and just walked off the job, keeping my initial down payment, and left my house with lead paint debris all over, dust and pieces of the wall all over the house, soot all over many walls, many areas of the house without running electricity, and several open electrical sockets, and my kids' room completely hazardous and out of service. It was my weekend of Summer vacation with my toddler twins and I had to live in this hazardous home with them during that time. Electrician will not provide his insurance carrier information. What would be the best course of action?

2 Lawyer Answers
Elizabeth Tarasi
Elizabeth Tarasi pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Construction Law Lawyer
  • Pittsburgh, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Hire an attorney and file a lawsuit

Nancy L Lanard
Nancy L Lanard
  • Plymouth Meeting, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: In PA there is a Home Improvement Consumer Protection Law. First I would check to see if the electrician is registered with the state. If he is then you know his insurance information and other information. If he is not, then submit a complaint to the PA Attorney General's office through the website on the law. Here is a link to further info on the law: Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.