Liverpool, NY asked in Landlord - Tenant for New York

Q: Is it legal for my landlord to make me get rid of one of my cars that I don't drive if it is registered and insured?

I live in upstate NY. I am allowed 2 spots in my driveway. The car is legal (insured and registered with plates on it), I'm just not driving it right now. There is a dent on the side of the vehicle that may be "unpleasant" to look at. He gave me 30 days to remove it from the property or he said he will give me my 30 day notice to move out. Is this legal?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Elaine Shay
Elaine Shay
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: If you do not have a lease and are not a rent-regulated tenant, the landlord has no obligation to keep you on as a tenant. Provided the landlord's actions do not otherwise violate the law, such as being discriminatory, the landlord can ask you to move for any reason including not liking the car you are parking at the property.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.