Dallas, TX asked in Adoption and Child Custody for Oklahoma

Q: Can a child that has been adopted by a family member due to the parents right terminated decide where she wants to live

She is fixing to be 16. I lost my rights and my sister adopted her but now my sister wants to dump her off at job cor in Guthrie and my 16 wants to live with me. Can she decide to leave my sister house even though my sister is her legal guardian or can my sister just dump her off somewhere else without permission from anyone

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brian Boeheim
Brian Boeheim
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: As the adoptive parent, your sister has all of the rights. You daughter may claim emancipation, if she can demonstrate she can live on her own and manage her own finances. She also needs to show that it is in her best interest to no longer have a guardian.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.