Philadelphia, PA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Pennsylvania

Q: I pay my landlord to do the yardwork. Should he be trimming the flower bed that is partially blocking the stairs?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nellie T Schulz
Nellie T Schulz
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Philadlephia, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: I assume you have contacted your landlord in writing or email asking him to trim the flower bed and he refused.

Whether the agreement with your landlord requires him to trim the flower bed depends on what the agreement states (if in writing) or what the terms you and he discussed and orally agreed to. The word ”yard work ” alone is ambiguous and could mean many types of work. What matters is what you and your landlord mutually agreed would be included as yard work. If you and he never discussed the flower beds, they most likely were not included under the contract. (There is no legal definition of the word ”yard work”). If your landlord used to trim the flower bed and then stopped trimming it, that would indicate that the agreement included trimming the flower bed. In any event, as your landlord, he is required by virtue of the lease itself to provide you, as his tenant, with access to the space leased to you. I suggest you write him and tell him about the stairs being partially blocked and that you are concerned that the blockage may cause you serious physical harm [assuming that is true] and that, as landlord, he must clear the stairs within 5 business days, and that if he does not, you will consider your options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.