Asked in Immigration Law

Q: Am I a U.S citizen?

Im 18 years old and I live with my parents in Spain, I would like to claim my citizenship through birthright, when I was born my dad was an American citizen but he didn't stay in America for 5 years or more, is it then possible to claim it through my grandparent?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Ms Grace I Gardiner
Ms Grace I Gardiner pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY

A: The answer is it depends once your grandparents can prove that they have also lived here for five years beyond age 14 there are several steps that must be taken including having an interview at one of Theresa service centers when you come in

Please feel free to call with additional questions

Kevin L Dixler agrees with this answer

Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Milwaukee, WI

A: I agree. However, it can be difficult to unearth evidence for deceased grandparents. Often, some of us who have grandparents from other nations find it difficult to locate enough evidence to prove that we derive citizenship, elsewhere. It is unclear that you want to hire an attorney to take care of this matter. However, it will likely be to your advantage to pay for a teleconference to discuss the law and issues concerning transmission of derivative citizenship.

The cost of a teleconference with a competent, ethical and experienced immigration attorney is significantly less than the filing fee for a form N-600. Good luck!

The above is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.