Storrs Mansfield, CT asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Family Law and Child Custody for Connecticut

Q: So I was recently hospitalized for not being on my medicine and they said I was unsafe around my kids without it..

So, what happens if I want another kid and I have to go off my meds?? the probate court said I have to be seeking treatment and I live in CT and I want another kid someday and that's like them telling me I can't have another baby. I am schizophrenic and have a mental illness but shouldn't have to live like that for the rest of my life, it says a lot of people have it and they have kids, and yeah my mom has guardianship over my kids..and she does help me but it doesn't mean I'm a bad mom..I just need help in some area's..I still have My parental rights..they would of took them if I didn't go to the Hospital for them that day, but I've been pregnant without my meds before and their suddenly calling me dangerous without my meds..and I want to have another kid one day and I feel like their taking my rights away..what do I do? can they do that? can they make it so I can't have another baby? cuz I'd have to go off my meds

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Maya
Joseph Maya pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Westport, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: Generally, a patient’s physician would advise as to what medications a patient may need, in addition to the appropriate dosage etc. To the extent a patient has a health condition, including pregnancy, that may be negatively impacted by the use of a medication, a physician may make a recommendation to change the medication, change the dosage, or suspend its use altogether. If you are under court order to continue to seek treatment of a physician, you and/or your physician may need to confer with the court regarding any change in your treatment plan, as may be necessary from time to time, regardless of any pending pregnancy. Often the court will accept documentation from physicians regarding a recommended treatment plan, which may include temporarily changing or suspending medications, under certain circumstances. It is best practice to ensure you are familiar with all applicable court orders so you understand what your rights and obligations are to ensure you do not violate any orders of the court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.