Richmond, TX asked in Criminal Law, Collections, Elder Law and Probate for Idaho

Q: I am the administrator of my mother's estate. I recently found out that my brother had been using her cc. What do I do?

I was only recently appointed by the court, so the cc has gone to collections with a balance of $10k+. I have notified the sheriffs dept. I am closing out her final bills, but don't know how to proceed with this one as he continued to charge against the card after her death and they aren't her charges.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: Your brother has committed a crime "abuse of the elderly" and because you are the Administrator of the estate, you must act like a cop to catch "over-reaching," "fraud or outright theft" of "estate" property. When your mother died, another legal "person" was born. That person's name is "mother's estate." You have been appointed by a JUDGE to take CARE of her estate. You have only ONE CHOICE here! Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.