Van Nuys, CA asked in Tax Law for California

Q: I would like to claim independent status on my tax return.

I am a 20 year old attending university as a full time student. My parents claim me on their tax return every year, so my status is dependent. However, due to recent altercations with my parents, we have decided I will be on my own now. I was wondering how I can claim independent status on my tax return as soon as possible. I looked online but couldn't really find clear answers and I don't know who or where to ask. If you can help me I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David Ostrove
David Ostrove
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You do not claim "independent status" on your tax return.

You file as a single person . You claim one exemption. Yourself. HOWEVER:

If your parents pay more than 1/2 of your support in the calendar year, they may claim you as their dependent. AND:

If they claim you as an exemption on their return, you may not claim yourself too, in that year. BUT:

But, if your parents have agreed Not to claim an exemption for you on their tax return, you may claim your own exemption on your individual tax return.

I hope this was helpful.

Just pick up instructions for form 1040. They are clear and easy to read.

OR, engage a tax service to make sure everything is filled out correctly.

All the best to you.

Zaher Fallahi agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.