Newport News, VA asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Civil Litigation for Virginia

Q: Is it legal to transfer someone across state lines in reference to a civil case without any extradition hearing?

I have filed a Habeas petition in the 4th circuit on this issue. See Hommel v. Unknown, et al. I was civilly commited in virginia in 2007, but never was commited, as the order was stayed. Instead i was transfered to Federal custody in the northern district of ohio where i served approx. 10.9 years. In 2017 i was released to a halfway house in akron ohio where i stayed for at 5 months until i was detained in relation to the 2007 civil commitment in virginia. At that point i was transported back to bop custody for about 4 months until my gtrd of 11/08/2017. Instead of being released to the local jail as per policy i was placed on the airlift. (there is no record of this transfer that i can find.) And was subsequently handed over to VCBR at the Richmond USMS office on my GTRD. Without any hearing in relation to any of this.The BOP does not consider me sexually dangerous. I was discharged from VCBR on 4/29/2020.

1 Lawyer Answer
F. Paul Maloof
F. Paul Maloof
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: I regret that I do not handle criminal law matter. Sorry.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.