Philadelphia, PA asked in Family Law and Health Care Law for New Jersey

Q: I am DPOA for my mother, over her medical care as well.

She is being treated for lung cancer and she also contracted CoVid from one of the staff so they say...

Now they are saying I am not allowed to see her as I am not essential, however she has made me her Agent, so I should be able To see first hand what is going on

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Short Hills, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: In response to your question, I typed in the following google search term:

"Lawyers specializing in litigation against hospitals where a patient contracted covid 19"

As a result of this pandemic, there are law firms focused on dealing with the issues you presented and the best advice I can give you is to run the same google search and focus on lawyers who are "certified civil trial lawyers" or "certified estate lawyers" for assistance. This is not a setting where you want to go to a general practitioner who claims that he can handle your matter and also dont focus on how pretty a website looks. Focus on the credentials of the lawyers involved in handling this type of claim. I would also speak with 4 -5 different firms to make sure that you understand your rights and how best to handle all of the issues presented and which firm you feel is best equipped to assist you with all of the issues.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.