Marina, CA asked in Child Support for California

Q: Where do I go to get help filling out a child support response if the help centers are closed?

What happens if I don’t get help

Filling out the response before court? I have court in about a week and still haven’t responded. I was served back in February but because of the pandemic it’s been pushed until next week. The petitioner submitted pay stubs for December of 2019 and January 2020 will those still be current or will they have to submit new ones since its now been 5 months?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Chris M. Bradford
Chris M. Bradford
  • Santa Monica, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Call the Self-Help Centers. Many are answering questions and helping people fill out forms on the phone, even though their offices are closed. If you haven't filled out your papers before the court date, be sure to go to the court hearing and ask the judge for more time, explaining why you couldn't get it done. If you don't file papers and don't show up, the court will make orders against you without you having any say in the matter. Parties in a child support case must submit pay stubs from the last 60 days. That means 60 days prior to the current, continued court date. Your form FL-150, Income an Expense Declaration, must also be current, filed with the court and a copy served on the other side with a Proof of Service form. If the case is with Child Support Services, ask them for help; in filling out your forms.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.