Tempe, AZ asked in Animal / Dog Law for Arizona

Q: My roommate has always neglected “forgets” to take care of her dog, can I rehome him?

I’ve filed reports with Maricopa county about it, and the humane society, nobody has ever gotten back to me and I feel bad for him.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kristina M. Bergsten
Kristina M. Bergsten
  • Animal & Dog Law Lawyer
  • Denver, CO

A: No, you can't rehome a dog that you do not own. You could offer to buy the dog from your roommate so that it is YOUR dog - if you want to keep the dog. If you're concerned about actual neglect (like, the dog is starving or without water) you could call animal control and see if they will press charges for cruelty/neglect.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.