Burbank, CA asked in Legal Malpractice for California

Q: Someone filed a legal separation in a state I moved from and wasn't me. What do I do

I found out recently that in 2001 someone acting as me filled for a legal separation in car. Oct 2001. I moved with my husband in Feb 2001. To Philadelphia

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Newport Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Usually Courts monitor the cases that have been filed and issue Orders to Show Cause re: Dismissal of cases that have become stale and not acted upon. A case normally would not languish for 9 years without the Court doing something to close it. You should research the Court records for the Court in which this case was filed to find out the disposition of the case. If it was dismissed, you are done. If you had a judgment entered, then you might want to consult with a Family Law attorney where the judgment was entered to see what can be done. You might have a case of Identity theft as well, so you should check your Expedia listing.

Justia disclaimers below, incorporated herein.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.