Elyria, OH asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for Ohio

Q: I want my finacè to become my daughters legal father. Bio dad is not involved, help please!

I want my finacè to adopt my daughter and become her legal father. Her father never signed her birth certificate only took a dna test for child support. He may be willing to sign his rights over to my finacè if it is needed. Does he even have any rights to sign over? Do we need to be married? I live in Ohio. I really need some advice. Her father is 100% not involved in her life. My finacè raised her. I just want to make it legal.

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You and fiancé must marry for him to be able to adopt, and bio father might try to object. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local attorney to assist.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.