Q: How do I go about filing an appeal on DCF? I am involved in case on which I am NOT the supported person of neglect.

Domestic violence with my children's father, in which I am the victim, have landed DCF in my life for the third time.

2 Lawyer Answers
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: This is actually an area of specialization. However, briefly, if you are within 30 days of the supported finding of abuse or neglect you can ask for a fair hearing and if the finding is adverse at the fair hearing, then the Superior Court would be involved if an appropriate appeal of the hearing finding is done.

Charles William Michaels
Charles William Michaels
  • Appeals & Appellate Lawyer
  • Columbia, MD

A: First, I am not a MA lawyer. And second, was there a final judgment? What was the case about? Without those details, I cannot answer your question. But I am not sure the DCF [order/ ruling] can be appealed? And to where? The trial court or some other appellate court...….

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.