Coventry, RI asked in Child Custody for Rhode Island

Q: I’m 17 in Rhode Island and my parents are separated if I really wanted to could I be emancipated I will be 18 nov 1st

I live with my mother but I’m very unhappy and we constantly fight and I’m constantly being made to feel like an object and my father has 3 kids and is working very often meaning he’s never home so my step mom takes care of all of them meaning I can’t live with him and I don’t have any other options because the rest of my family is scared of my mother. I’m employed and make around 200 a week but I could pick up more hours if I had to prove that I’m able to be self sufficient.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: Once you have graduated from High School and attained the age of 18, you are legally considered emancipated. At $200 per week, you will likely need to find housing that costs you less that $350 per month.

Start saving your money for a deposit on your new place and good luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.