Grass Valley, CA asked in Criminal Law and Traffic Tickets for Oregon

Q: My son was written up for reckless driving after running a stop sign on a country road. Fine is $6250.

This fine is devastating and seems way out of line with the infraction. There was no one at the intersection (except the officer), he was driving under the speed limit, and he made a conscious decision when he saw the stop sign that it would be safer to drive through it than to slam on the breaks. My question is whether we should plead no contest and ask for a lesser fine, or plead not guilty to reckless driving and endangerment because he was not being reckless and no one was endangered.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jared Justice
Jared Justice
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Oregon City, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: That fine is the maximum fine for a class A misdemeanor.

Typically, that is not the fine that is imposed (at least I have never seen it/heard about it being imposed).

Your son would be wise to get an attorney, prior to his court date. In my opinion, it is usually best to find an attorney in the county or city where your son needs to appear for court.

Aubrey R Hoffman agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.