Columbus, OH asked in Divorce, Family Law and Real Estate Law for Ohio

Q: My divorce was 8 years ago, my name is still on the house after my ex was told to take it off. What do I do?

The settlement says to take me off of the loan of the house in a "reasonable amount" of time. It has been almost 8 years. She refuses to take my name off the house. How do I start the process of taking my name off of the mortage?

1 Lawyer Answer
Robert  Mues
Robert Mues
  • Dayton, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Your remedy is to file a contempt motion against her for willfully violating the terms of the divorce decree. 8 years is way more than a "reasonable" time to get you off the loan. If she claims she doesn't qualify to refinance it, the Court will likely order it sold so you will be off the mortgage.

Consult with an experience divorce lawyer to assist in representing you and filing the Contempt motion if necessary.

Nicholas P. Weiss and Cathy Cook Esq agree with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.