San Antonio, TX asked in Divorce, Family Law, Adoption and Child Custody for Texas

Q: My wife and I are getting a divorce she's not allowed me to see my son without any paperwork she is gone into hiding in

My wife and I are filing for divorce we have a three-year-old son who is not biologically yours he was given to us by my sister we have no legal adoption papers written out but he has been with us since birth we took him home the day after he was born he calls me father he calls her mother I want to be in this child's life are refusing any visitation from me and I'm gone into hiding within our city I need to know if I need to go through Family Court first then file for divorce or what am i options if any

1 Lawyer Answer
Ruby K Bolton
Ruby K Bolton
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • The Woodlands, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You have a number of complex issues that will require the assistance of an experienced family law attorney. Your divorce is most likely going to be a separate case from custody of your sister's biological child. Based on the facts you have listed, you or your wife, or the both of you together, could file for custody, but the longer that you delay, the more difficult that it would be to prevail in a custody battle. I strongly urge you to file for custody immediately. The time period between when the child last lived with you and the date that you file are going to be the two most relevant dates in determining if you can preserve your rights to your son. This is not a case that the attorney general, or the county will file for you. You need to take action yourself.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.