Asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Oregon

Q: What happens if I cannot move out by the time indicated on my notice to vacate?

My house closing has been pushed back past when I am supposed to be out of my apartment and the landlord says I cannot stay longer. What happens if I stay past my move out date. I only need an additional 4 days.

1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: No worries - while your landlord won't like it, and you will still owe rent for the additional days, the only thing the landlord can legally do is file to evict you in court. Not only does that cost him money, but your first court appearance cannot be before 7 days after he files (and no later than 14 days - 8-10 days was the pre-Covid norm in Multnomah County). As long as you are out before your first court appearance, the case should be dismissed with you the prevailing party (meaning you would not owe his court costs or attorney's fees, at least not by landlord-tenant law). I would start by letting the landlord know your situation - it might keep him from immediately filing to evict you. IF he does file, and you are out before your first court appearance, you should still go to court (or otherwise appear if they are doing things by phone) to be sure the Judge knows you are out and should dismiss the case. Good luck.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.