Bremerton, WA asked in Estate Planning, Tax Law and Banking for California

Q: Transferring large sums of money to US citizen spouse

Here is the situations. Husband and wife are both US residents. Husband is a Green Card holder, wife is a US Citizen. Do we need to file any tax form when the husband transfer large assets assets (e.g. money and stocks for $300K) to the US citizen wife? is it best to use a joint account or can the sums be transferred directly from the Green Card holder spouse to the US citizen spouse?

1 Lawyer Answer
Shawna Murray
Shawna Murray
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Irvine, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: This question would be best answered by a tax expert so that they can advise you of any possible gift tax repercussions.

Tax advice disclosure: To ensure compliance with Treasury Department Circular 230, we inform you that unless otherwise specified, any federal tax advice contained in this email or any attachments is not intended for and cannot be used for the purpose of (1) avoiding penalties under the IRS Code or (2) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any matters addressed herein.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.