Cleveland, OH asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Ohio

Q: My sister an I are trying to leave an abusive household. But she is 14, how can I gain custody of her I'm 20.

We've called the cops in the past and they didn't help in anyway. My family member is threatening to get us beaten up. We want to leave but we are afraid she will get in trouble for being a runaway. Is there anyway I can gain custody of her even though I'm a full time college student?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nicholas P. Weiss
Nicholas P. Weiss
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cleveland Heights, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You could make a report to child protective services, or alternatively move for guardianship of your sister. You would have to establish in the guardianship proceedings that the parents are unsuitable to care for your sister. This is a high bar, but one that can be helped with a competant guardianship counsel. Start with CPS though.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.