Hixson, TN asked in Family Law for North Carolina

Q: My niece acquired guardianship for my father and I want to contest it.

Last year, I was told that my 25-year old niece somehow acquired legal guardianship for my father who 87 years old and is in a nursing home. She will not allow me to visit him and won't tell me why. She will not answer phone calls, and my letter to her was not answered. I have never had problems with my father and don't understand why my niece has taken this approach. I live and work in California but have travelled to North Carolina to deal with this matter in person.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Houser
Amanda Bowden Houser
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: I hardly see how she could prevent you from seeing your father unless she simply won't tell you where he is and if you don't know where he is, that is likely a big part of the reason why she is the guardian and not you. While you are in North Carolina, you should likely consult with a local attorney who can review your specific situation in detail and lay out your options for you. Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.