Anaheim, CA asked in Adoption and Animal / Dog Law for California

Q: Vet adopted out my service dog without my consent or knowledge. How do I get her back?

Abracadabra aka Abby is my whole world, my furbaby, my Service Dog! I left her with a friend (sitter) for a few hours and in that time she got out and was part of a hit and run. I took her to the vet, told them she is my world, gave them 2 email addresses since I had just lost my phone and said I will be back for her in a week so she may heal properly since she's only 1 1/2 yr old and gets a lil to excited sometimes I didn't want her to make her injuries worse. Well morning of day 10 I'm getting ready to go get her when my mom (who was the emergency contact) tells me she's already been adopted and is gone. I didn't get 1 email from them the entire time she was there and they didn't call my mom telling her to tell me to come get her. There was no communication at all. I have alot of physical and mental/emotional health issues and she is registered as my Emo Support Dog. I'm nothing without her. Abby and I have been thru so much together I'm in the process of writing a book about it.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kristina M. Bergsten
Kristina M. Bergsten
  • Animal & Dog Law Lawyer
  • Denver, CO

A: There's not enough information here, but if the vet thought you abandoned your dog, they can give your dog to a shelter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.