Warwick, RI asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Rhode Island

Q: can a minors legal guardian keep custody over biological father in court

if so what type of information should be brought to court proceedings to help keep minor child with legal guardian

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: If a Guardian has been appointed. The father will be well advised to work with their attorney to present evidence of a significant change in circumstances to support a proposed modification of the arrangement, along with supporting evidence significant enough to meet their burden to show that it is in the best interests of the child (medically, educationally, etc) to be placed with the biological father. So, the important things to bring to court are: 1) a qualified attorney (who has counseled you and helped file your case with the court) , supported by 2) relevant reports, 3) witnesses, and other evidence (4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 etc) to persuade the judicial officer that placing the child in your possession is in their best interest.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.