Cincinnati, OH asked in Land Use & Zoning for Ohio

Q: Can I refuse to pay rent and also consider the lease agreement null and void if the will not fix things in my apartment.

I called them on June22 to let them know my A/C was not working properly and received no reply. Then called on July 4 at 9am about a leak in my ceiling and to inquire about the A/C. To date I have still have the leak and my A/C still is not fixed. Also when they do which isn't often answer my calls i get no answer.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Real Estate Law Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: The proper approach is to pay your rent on time into escrow with your local court. Check your local court web site for the escrow process. If you don't pay rent, landlord can file to evict you. An eviction is a permanent public record that can make it difficult to rent from a landlord who checks. Landlord can also make an adverse entry on your credit record, lowering your credit score and also making it difficult to rent.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.