Newark, OH asked in Family Law, Adoption and Child Custody for Ohio

Q: I'd like to adopt my step son. My husband has full custody I've been in his life since he was a yr old hes now almost 8

His biological mother didnt visit him at all in 2019 and has only called and seen him once in 2020 back in march haven't heard from her again. This is very typically of her and it's tough on our son! Am I able to just adopt him since she has very little to no contact with him? How would I go about doing that?

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You can file with the probate court to adopt. The mother will be notified and she could object. If she has not been ordered to pay child support, then your husband could file to make her start paying. If you adopt, then her child support obligation would terminate. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local attorney who handles adoptions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.