Pascagoula, MS asked in Child Support for Alabama

Q: If I marry a man with back child support due from his first marriage will my income change his child support payments?

Marry a man, he owes child support to his first ex wife wondering if my income would cause his child support payments to increase or if she could go after me and my income once we marry

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kristine Jones
Kristine Jones
  • Montgomery, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: No, your income will not change his payments. If you have joint financial accounts with him and the state swipes his tax refund, stimulus check, etc. because he owes arrears and intrest, then your monies are liable to also be swiped. If they are swiped, you would then need to bring that error to the attention of the IRS.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.