Twinsburg, OH asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Ohio

Q: Could a father file for full custody and keep the child from the residential parent's home if the mother tells the

[question continued] father she thinking about moving in over a decade?

Hi, I'm in a bit of a conundrum. I told the father that I was thinking about moving but it was going to take time. I told him it'd take over a decade to do this. The child in question is 9 right now and is with the father for the summer as per the divorce decree. He's here the rest of the time for school. I am the residential and custodial parent. He says that he decided that since I said that he's going to file custody papers and that he's not going to bring him back home. He mixed my words and now is saying he has witnesses that I said I was leaving immediately.

I have no idea what to do or if I should do anything. I'm in the state of Ohio and I reached out to community legal aid in summit county (I will try Cuyahoga county because this is where he'll most likely file the court papers) and unfortunately they cannot help me due to COVID.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Nothing prevents a parent from filing to change the custody arrangement at any time. The judge then considers all the circumstances and what is in the best interest of the child. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to consult a local family law attorney to review your situation and give you more information so you don't worry. Many offer free phone consultations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.