Tolleson, AZ asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts, Legal Malpractice and Real Estate Law for California

Q: Can a paralegal sign a Proof of Service for someone else that served responses to the opposition and file them in court?

A Paralegal used her husband to serve legal documents to the opposing counsel days before a court appearance. Not an employee of the firm. Responses to motions were served to opposing counsel during after hours. The building was closed and according to the husband on the proof of service, he stated he left the documents outside on the floor of opposing counsels building. No one was ever personally served. The wife who is the paralegal gives the husband a blank check and he writes in his information and the amount for $250.00 for his service. The paralegal then forges her attorney's signature and the husband deposits the check. Opposing counsel indicated in court he never received the documents. Charges were then billed to the client.

1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Newport Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: A proof of service is signed under penalty of perjury, it must be signed by the person doing the actual service. Other than that there is no other requirement of status, like being an employee of a firm or paralegal service. If I were hearing this case I would postpone the hearing so the attorney who was not properly served has a chance to review the documents and respond. Leaving it on the doorstep of a building is not proper service. The business about the check is interesting but does not affect whether service was properly made.

Justia disclaimers below, incorporated herein.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.