Brooklyn, NY asked in Car Accidents and Small Claims for New York

Q: Which party do I sue in New York City small claims court ?

My vehicle was involved in a hit and run while parked legally. I was able to track down the vehicle that damaged my vehicle on video camera and I have a witness that seen the vehicle as well and it is stated in the police report. I filed a insurance claim with the vehicle registered owner and it was easy to do so because there was a claim already opened by the other party stating that they were involved in a hit and run on the date in question. But then I received a denial notice from the insurance stating that they didn’t have insurance on the date of the hit and run and they will deny repairs for every vehicle in the claim. The denial notice letter shows a different name other than the vehicle registered owner. After further investigation it shows that the vehicle registered owner and the name on the denial insurance claim letter both live in the same household. So my question is who do I sue in New York City court ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: Car insurance is on the car, not the driver in New York. The insurance company may be saying that the car wasn't insured under them on the date of the accident. Make sure there wasn't another insurance company that covered the car at the time. You should sue the vehicle owner, the named insured, the insurance company and the other party involved in the accident. Each party will need to file an answer for why they are not responsible. If any do not answer with a legal defense, you can ask for a judgement against that party.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.