Owens Cross Roads, AL asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Alabama

Q: If I dont send my son with his father due to non payment of child support what can happen?

We have been divorced for 5 years and in the last year he has not paid child support. What would happen if I refuse to send him to his father's house? His father doesn't live on his own. He lives with his mom and she pays for everything when our son is there. He doesn't even have his own car. He refuses to work because he doesn't want to pay child support but he says he still wants his son for his time.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sheila Crumley Field
Sheila Crumley Field
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: You can be held in contempt of court which can carry a five day jail sentence for each time you refuse to send the child. Non payment of child support does not give the right to suspend visitation. Go to DHR and sign up for collection of your past due support. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.