Greenville, TX asked in Social Security for Texas

Q: My son lost his SSI benefits when he was 3 due to child support. Will it be hard to qualify for SSI when he turns 18?

He is a brain tumor survivor. We lost his SSI benefit (and more importantly, his Medicaid) when his absent father started making child support payments when my son turned 3. He is now 14, and I am planning for his post high school years. When he turns 18, the child support payments end. Will it be difficult for him to qualify for SSI when he turns 18? He has nocturnal seizures, a speech impediment, right-side muscle weakness, and mild cardiomyopathy from the chemotherapy. Should he at least be able to qualify while he pursues his college education? Thank you and regards,

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Susan Michele Schaefer
Susan Michele Schaefer
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Prattville, AL

A: I am sorry to hear that your son lost his SSI benefits due to an income/resource issue. Since SSI is a needs based program, there are limits to the amount of countable income/resources. I strongly urge you to contact a disability attorney now to consult about establishing an Achieving a Better Life Experience Act (ABLE) account for your son and again establishing SSI eligibility. ABLE became law on December 19, 2014. A practical use for an ABLE account is for shielding child support and other such income from being counted so that eligibility for SSI is protected. An ABLE account is flexible enough that payments deposited into the account can easily be used to pay for many of the expenses a child may have. For some background see,

At age 18, your son would have eligibility determined under the adult standards. It would be a good idea to consult with a disability attorney prior to that time.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.