New York, NY asked in Landlord - Tenant for New York

Q: Can my landlord tell me to pay more money for past months rent because we are switching our lease from a year to 3 month

We want to get out of lease early bc of covid and ability to afford rent because of loss of work. Our landlord said no but said we can switch from a year lease to 3 months. They want to charge us $500 to even just start the paperwork and then $500 for June and July rent that we have already paid, as well as August’s rent will be $500 more. Is this legal?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Elaine Shay
Elaine Shay
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Even with the havoc that the Covid crisis has created, generally tenants remain responsible for the remaining term of any unexpired leases. If the landlord is willing to release you from the remaining term of your lease, it is not unusual to require a payment of some type. Appears that basically your landlord is doing that but just calling it by a different name.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.