Asked in Immigration Law for California

Q: My business partner lied on his DS-160 form in 2013 while applying for b1/b2.

My brother lied in his DS-160 form in 2013 while applying for b1/b2. He mentioned fake college name and degree in the form.The same info was repeated again in 2018 while filling DS-160 while renewing b1/b2 .He still has valid b1/b2 but is worried about future and wants to amend the mistake he made in the past. He is also partnering and investing with me now in U.S business and applying for L1A and doesn't want to continue this lie in I-129. Shall we engage with a lawyer and apply for waiver before it is discovered or wait till this lie or wilful misrepresentation is discovered.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie C Hancock
Julie C Hancock
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • De Pere, WI

A: You definitely should consult with an immigration attorney to evaluate this situation and determine next steps. Misrepresentation to obtain an immigration benefit is a very serious matter and can have serious consequences to your brother's future ability to travel to the United States.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.