Houston, TX asked in Real Estate Law for Michigan

Q: I live in Texas. I am in process of purchasing land in Michigan. Can I put the land in my 15 y/o child’s name ?

I want to do this for her to have an immediate investment at age 18. The land is currently void of structure.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Howell, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Not directly. You must be 18 to own land in Michigan (and most other states too) although the child could be a beneficiary of a trust that owned land. But that too has down-sides.

Why do you want to do this? There may be other options but without looking at ALL the facts and circumstances it is hard to say what the best course of action is.

Seek local legal advice before you commit to anything.

— this answer is offered for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney/client relationship. Please seek local licensed legal representation for advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.