Chicago, IL asked in Family Law and Small Claims for Ohio

Q: Can a make mother sign a contract to replace something of my daughter's if she lets it get broke?

I bought my daughter a watch for her birthday that has a built in phone and emergency gps detector if she were to ever get lost or kidnapped. I am afraid to let her take it to her mother's where she needs it most for fear of the mother, her abusive boyfriend or thier son taking or breaking it. My daughter is 11 and this is the only way I can give her some kind of protection against her mother and boyfriend until I can get a lawyer for custody. Is thier a way I can make her sign something or any other way that if I let my daughter take it to her mother's that the mother is held responsible if something happens to it and to make sure the mother cannot take it from my daughter?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: A contract like that wouldn't do much good, even if you could get her to sign it. If the watch went missing, you would not be able to prove what happened to it if you went to small claims court to sue her. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local family law attorney to review the facts and file for custody to help you get your daughter out of a bad situation. Many lawyers offer free consultations by phone.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.